Thursday, October 18, 2007

Week 4: #8 RSS Feeds-Danger! Danger!

Well I've completed the exercises. I've created a Bloglines account and added 11 feeds including iHCPL's Flickr feed.
In the process of surfing for feeds I started wondering again if my computer has problems, since videos I tried to watch on various web sites suffered pauses and buffering stops-and-starts.
I've come to expect this on computers though. Seems a lot of videos and audio spots on the web give me this kind of delivery. They either pause and drag while trying to watch say, movie trailers and TV show clips, or the viewing screen that pops up is too darn small and fairly useless for seeing much of the visual action.

Anyway, I've had a little too much fun searching for RSS feeds that I'm interested in. It's been somewhat of an effort determining what topics I want, and figuring out whether they're available as RSS or not though.

I say "Danger, Danger" because they have the potential to waste enormous amounts of my work time if I'm not very careful and maintain good work habits. I linked half a dozen newspaper comic strips, and about as many entertainment news feeds. I'll never be at a loss as to what to do on my break ever again.

I've known these kinds of web options were available and avoided seeking them out for just these reasons. I was afraid it would be like suddenly receiving a dozen new magazine and newspaper subscriptions at home. Here's hoping I can control it all and incorporate them into the allowable time I'm already spending on my breaks and lunches.

But since it's something I have to do for WORK, I guess that would be okay.
I'm learning something new, but personally dangerous! And I get training hours for it!


No comments: