Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Week 10: #23 I Am... Complete!

They say it's harder to open up and learn new things as you get older.
But despite some griping, and doing exercises on some topics I wasn't interested in, this was the best training exercise I've ever been involved with at HCPL!

I know I was exposed to a ton of technological tools and ideas that I wouldn't have been otherwise. Some I cared for, some I didn't. But I'm still grateful to have been introduced to them all.

I couldn't estimate the enormous effort involved in preparing and running the program for us, monitoring those involved, and helping out the totally clueless folks. But I sincerely appreciate the effort in our behalf, and the fun things I got to learn [or finally play with on work time].


FAVORITES
YouTube - a great video collection site! I could get very addicted.

Downloadable Media - lots of audio fun for this big fan of music, books-on-audio, and old-time radio.

Flickr - it's a lot of fun, but it can eat enormous amounts of time digging through this huge "shoebox" full of photos.

LibraryThing - I like to make lists and picture catalogs. I'd love to make my DVD collection on this sometime.


LESS FAVORITES [only because of what suits me personally]:
Blogs - I'm not the kind of person who enjoys maintaining a blog, or surfing to read other peoples. Maybe a celebrity's on-line journal, but even that's a lot to keep up with for me.

RSS Newsreaders - would love to have the time to surf my favorite feeds with these. But I have to get up from the computer and walk around sometime.

Avatars - a necessary visual, I suppose, to show some personality, yet maintain some on-line privacy. But awkward for me, since I've never been all that comfortable dressing up as a character in a costume in real life.

Social Networking - my life is so very full and enjoyable as it is that I don't have much desire to reach out and network with even more people on-line. I know I wouldn't have the time to maintain those additional relationships anyway.

Passwords for everything - sheesh!

Podcasts - too much like listening to the damn radio for my taste.

Thanks!!!



No comments: