Thursday, December 6, 2007

Week 7: #17 Blogging, Technology, "the World of Tomorrow" and me!

When it comes to modern technology, I choose to believe that there's hope for me!
What I mean is, I'm at that awkward age; not too old to try new things, but not young enough to have always been immersed in modern tech.

For instance, I love DVD's and Compact Discs, and especially love having machines at home that let me record my own. When it comes to collecting my music just the way I want it, I work from my record albums, audiocassettes, and CD collections. Yet I don't seem to have much interest in downloading MP3's or getting an iPod. [maybe when I surf the web more and preview music and discover I really, really want to burn things to CD?]

And I've got a new laptop computer at home with a 17 inch screen. It's got wireless access to the web [which I had no hand in setting up - it was done for me by a tech friend].
I do so enjoy surfing the web and discovering things about my hobbies that I was completely unaware of before, and might not have discovered any other way. But then I hate the times when I want to find info, but waste hours surfing and finding squat!

One one hand I could blog and chat with folks on-line for hours if I so desired, but on the other hand I could just as easily encounter a bunch of idiots in the process [just like in real life]. Such are the problems of being content, and having more interests than free time.

I was slow to get cell phones for my wife and I. We had more and more instances when cell phones would have come in pretty darn handy! But then we just got basic model phones. No cameras, no web access, and no text messaging, which suits us just fine.

Gee, maybe I'm floating between two worlds. Or maybe I just have the best of both?
These days I have most everything I want to entertain me at my fingertips, so I know contentment! But I also know that there's more to discover and fascinate me anytime I want it.
I have contentment and challenge, so I just consider myself incredibly lucky! In this great, modern technological "world of tomorrow," I only lack my flying car and my jet pack!


P.S. I posted a comment to "Ferretnews" who said "I read through a couple of people's blogs. I feel uncomfortable "invading" someone else's privacy. Basically most technology is fine; there's no way to avoid it. I have let a lot of technology pass me by; ipods, fancy cell phones, etc. just don't interest me. Cell phones [and their obnoxious invasion into everyday life] bothers me a great deal. I have been enjoying learning about the various computer technologies through this 23 things training. The exercise I liked the most was photo editing and uploading. That was useful and fun. I'll post to Scott McCullar's blog."


My Post:
Thanks, Libby! I wanted to post to yours as well! I felt the same way about a lot of the tools. Very interesting, and I might play with them more later if I figure out how I might use them for my hobbies and such. It's weird thinking that I've "let technology pass me by," but I prefer to think it's just a matter of time management and having lots of fun stuff that I'm interested in. I'd like photo editing tools more if there was one that let me edit or eliminate parts of pictures, and combine parts of one with another. But they all seem affect entire photos at once. Unless you buy Photoshop, I guess! Go, Ferrets!

No comments: