Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Week 9: #21 Podcasts Were Pointless

I'm not just trying to be a wet blanket here, but podcasts wound up being pointless for me. I'm saying that despite the fact that I feel very positively about the iHCPL training topics and exercises.
But I'm a music fan and audio collector, and I've had years now to build a great collection. So I'm used to listening to exactly what I want to hear when I want it. I avoid listening to the radio almost entirely, [except when the radio plays while I'm in the process of popping CDs or audiotapes into my car player]. Even satellite radio is of absolutely no interest to me.

But I realize that podcasts could be useful, informative and fun if you find exactly what you're looking for, but I spent hours searching found almost nothing. It was like scanning back and forth through a hundred radio stations trying to find favorite songs and never catching any.

I tried podcast directories, topics, genres and keyword search combinations. I tried favorite TV show websites that I though had related podcasts and updates. The directories all seemed to either be very wide in topic and take a lot of browsing to narrow down, or were all by two-bit radio "discjockeys."

I added the RSS feed to my Bloglines for NPR's "Performing Arts" topic, but that's as close to a feed for actual podcasts as I could get and still find one on a topic I cared about in the slightest.
So I consider podcasting useful, but didn't find any to suit me whatsoever.

No comments: